Learn about the viral superfood powder market and find out how you can join this growing trend.
You’ve probably heard of green nutrition powders, maybe from an ad on social media, or from seeing the products in the health food section of a local store. In fact, the superfood powder market has become such a viral trend that you may be wondering if you should be offering the green superfoods to your customer base.
But first things first: What are green nutrition powders?
These powders — often simply called “greens” — usually contain 25-40 different veggie, fruit, and mineral ingredients. You could call them a healthy, natural form of nutrition that have been distilled into an easy-to-digest powder form. They’re as natural as nutrition gets, which health-minded consumers absolutely love.
Here are some common components:
• Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, collards, parsley
• Seaweed: Spirulina, chlorella, dulse, kelp
• Grasses: Barley grass, wheat grass, oat grass, alfalfa
• Plant-based digestive enzymes: Amylase, cellulase, lipase, papain, protease
• Herbs: Holy basil, astragalus, echinacea, milk thistle
• Mushrooms: Maitake mushroom extract, shiitake mushroom extract
• High-antioxidant fruits: Blueberries, raspberries, goji, and acai berries
• Other vegetables: Broccoli, beets, carrots, tomatoes, green cabbage
• Nutritional extracts: Green tea extract, grape seed extract, Ginkgo biloba extract
• Probiotics: Lactobacillus (L.) rhamnosus, L. acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis Natural sugar substitutes: Stevia leaf extract, monk fruit extract
• Extra fiber: Rice bran, inulin, apple fiber
Greens are the hot trend in natural nutrition, and the powdered nutrition supplements market is expected to continue growing at 8.3% CAGR through 2022. Previously, the U.S. led market growth (in 2017) with a market share of 47%.
With the continued viral growth in the greens market, you could be looking at your hottest new product.
You might be thinking, “I can’t even pronounce half the words! Why are greens so popular?” Well, we’re about to give you the scoop on why you need them in your diet—and maybe in your offer.
On Chris Kresser’s podcast, Dr. Thomas Cowan, MD, notes the diversity of plants that some of our ancestors ate:
“Healthy hunter-gatherer humans ate a much wider variety of vegetables than we do today—up to 20 species per day and 100 species throughout the year!”
Humans today are grossly undernourished. We went from consuming a constant buffet of nutritious plants, to becoming a civilization that is barely scraping together enough nutrition to survive. Consider these stark facts:
• Fewer than one in ten Americans today get the vegetable servings they need
• Men are less likely than women to eat enough veggies, at 7.6%
• Young adults are least likely to meet vegetable requirements, at 6.7%
Greens are flying off the shelves because of the simple truth that one scoop of powder can replenish so many vital nutrients at once.
The facts reveal that in today’s society, it’s hard to meet nutrition requirements from chowing down on veggies alone. From body-builders to parent bloggers, everyone seems to be catching the greens wave because of how simple and tasty it makes nutrition for both kids and adults. What could be easier than tossing a scoopful of green nutrient powder into a smoothie?
“The customer response to on-demand greens has been tremendous,” says Sarah Huerta, ShipOffers’ Growth Manager. “There is a lot of opportunity, and our clients know it.”
Health blogger Yuri Elkaim delves into the major health benefits of adding these superfoods to your daily diet, saying:
“They are believed to reduce the risk of blood clots, regulate triglyceride and cholesterol levels, and slash the chances of developing cardiovascular disease,” he says. “Also, greens have been shown to promote healthy cell division while spurring cell death of cancer cells and inactivating carcinogens.” (These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.)
In short, there’s no downside to green nutrition powders. Just fast, delicious nutrition that your health-conscious customers will love.
Still wondering how tasty a bunch of powdered veggies can possibly be?
Megan Telpner shares a great list of fast, fun, and scrumptious greens recipes, all so that you can give your customers great ideas on how to enjoy them. Those green energy balls—yum!
Ready to get into the greens game? We offer on-demand greens that will help your customers get healthier on the go.